Unit Manager at RAF Northolt
Are you passionate about Aviation and/ or wildlife and do you want to help make the skies safer? Wildlife, particularly birds, pose a high risk to air safety, especially during critical points of flight, take-off and landing. Our Wildlife Hazard Management teams work hard to eliminate the presence of birds and other wildlife on the airfield, reducing the risk to all aircraft. Wildlife is naturally attracted to the airfield due to several factors, the primary being the abundance of food.
We are looking for a Unit Manager for our RAF Northolt operation to provide day-to-day management of aerodrome wildlife control operations. You will line manage a team Airfield Wildlife Control Operators and with the support of your Regional Manager (RM) and the head office, be the pivotal link between our client and the company, to ensure expectations are managed and realised, ensuring satisfaction with our services is maintained.
This is also a working role so you will be required to contribute to service delivery by operating airside as part of the watch roster.
Equipped with a 4×4 vehicle, bioacoustics, pyrotechnics and (when all else fails) an air rifle or shotgun, you will deter the wildlife from settling on the airfield and encourage all bird populations to stay well clear. The entire operation is carried out within the strict guidelines of Natural England, the Police and Local Airfield Management. Part of your role will be to ensure these guidelines are followed by all team members.
You will record all movements and activities in a digital watch log, with all depredation under licence reported to the regulators.
Contract term: Full time, permanent
Hours per week: 43
Hourly rate/ annual Salary: £11 per hour – £24,596 p/a
- Sustain client satisfaction as best as reasonably practical (customer first policy)
- Ensure all contract deliverables are met at RAF Northolt, including adherence to client led polices / orders
- Provide first line support to all AWCOs working at the aerodrome
- Maintain comprehensive communication with company leadership
- Ensure the company polices and individual responsibilities / duties are understood and implemented
- Liaise with your RM and the Safety Manager to maintain risk assessments and H&S best practices
- Liaise with local ornithological societies and obtain / maintain good rapport with local landowners to promote safer flying operations, supported by the RM
- Ensure all equipment required for the task is available, maintained to a safe working order and represents the professionalism of the company at all times, reporting all discrepancies to the RM
- Ensure compliance with all safety procedures for weapons and ammunition
- Provide licencing authorities with the required information for the application and continuation for all licences required to sustain an effective hazard mitigation service
- Support the training and competency programme providing site specific familiarisation, assessments and one-to- one training as required
- Support the retention of trained and experienced employees
- Support recruitment by assisting with interview, site visits and local processes, g. licence and application reviews
- Notify the line manager of all opportunities for developing the contract
What we are looking for:
- A confident and credible, customer focused individual with transferable skills for this role
- A full UK issued driving licence free from disqualifications
- High attention to detail and a well organised approach
- A high energy, hands on and proactive approach
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Located within a commutable distance (45 minutes’ drive) of RAF Northolt
- An ability to be able to obtain and maintain Security Check Clearance
- An ability to be able to obtain and maintain a Firearms and Shotgun license (we will help you with this if successful)
- Previous experience within a management role desirable
- An interest in aviation and /or wildlife
- Previous shooting experience desirable
It is also necessary for you to be colour perception safe and be flexible with your shifts. The usual shift pattern is 3 On, 1 Off, 3 On, 2 Off on a rotating earlies (07:00 – 16:15) and lates (15:45 – 01:00) basis. Airfield opening hours at RAF Northolt are 0700hrs-0100hrs and they operate seven days a week, but we ensure fair distribution of weekends off.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with queries, to apply and /or for a full job description before 27 August 2021.
Closing Date: 27/08/2021